Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cincinnati Chili (Midwestern-basically the Cincinnati area and environs)


The second best part of my job (after the inspiring young minds and therefore changing their lives) is attending meetings, conferences, and symposia all across the country.  As a avid traveler and food lover, the first thing I do after I trash the hotel like a rock star, is ask the hotel staff to lead me to the local goodies.  There have been a few really desperate times that I've had to eat at a Chili's (gasp), Fridays (blech), and the most disdainful Cheesecake Factory (end it now!).   I once had to dine during karoke night at a Rock Bottom Brewery (no more "Greatest Love" renditions, please).

On a recent business related adventure, I had the opportunity to visit the Queen City--Cincinnati.  The second I told my husband that I would be going to the  city on the majestic Ohio River, he reminded me that the night before we met, he and his college roommate actually had a Cincinnati Chili party.  His chili fete involved endless cans of chili, male bonding and maybe my beloved pondering when he would find the one, or not.  Well, lo and behold, nine months, one week and one day after my husband's chili festival, we were married.  So, I like to believe that Cincinnati chili is good luck.

So, in addition to preparing to visit the National Underground Railroad/Freedom Center Museum, I knew I just had to try the chili that brought me and my beloved together.  He insisted that I eat at a Skyline Chili restaurant, BUT I purchase Gold Star chili in the can to enjoy back home in Oklahoma.  My husband is a brilliant man, but his chili suggestions (and his love, support and kindness) are among his greatest  contributions to my life.  

Cincinnati chili is what the folks on "Top Chef" call a "fully composed dish."  There are many ways you can order you Cincinnati chili, but when in Rome you should go all out.  The classic five-way Cincinnati chili involves taking a heaping plate of spaghetti, topping it off with Cincinnati chili, red kidney beans, chopped onion and the finest shredded mild cheddar cheese imaginable.  You may think, "It's so simple.  How could it be that good?"  Well the secret lies in the flavor of the chili.  Unlike the spicy, red chilis that are found in the Southwest, the Cincinnati chili has a sweeter, cinnamon flavor.  When the chili blends with the starchiness of the spaghetti and the creaminess of the cheese it meets the tanginess of the onions and the savoriness of the bean, you have the perfect meal.  Skyline serves up their chili with a lovely bowl of oyster crackers that bring you back to being a kid.  Skyline also serves up chili on wonderful wiener hot dogs and soft buns.  It's an absolute treat.

Luckily, the Cincinnati airport sells spice packets from Gold Star chili so you can make it at home.  In order to ensure that my lovely darling and I live a long life, I try to make a healthy version of whatever indulgence we love.  So, I swapped the ground beef in the chili for some lean ground turkey (make sure it's the lean kind; dark meat turkey can pack the fat).  I added a nice can of lycopene-packed tomatoes, and I substituted the cheese for a part-skim style cheese. I can't guarantee that this chili can bring you as much good fortune as it brought me, but you never know.

Happy Eating!  

No comments: